Many apologies but this blog had to move. Find it at sydneydrinkwater.com

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

baby BLTs for a virtual baby shower

It’s an exciting morning!!  A few months ago, I received an invitation to Jenna’s virtual baby shower.  Jenna is one of the bloggers I've read the longest – we share a lot of beliefs and opinions, not to mention she has a terrific talent with words.  Her articulation and descriptive storytelling is becoming a gift less and less common in this world with texts and tweets.  It’s refreshing and encouraging.  I've also begun enjoying reading some of Veronica’s posts, the sweet girl who has put in the effort of coordinating this shower!
 Because several of us wanted to shower Jenna with our love and appreciation of her from afar, a virtual gathering was the perfect solution.  I haven’t been able to resist the mini/baby theme – a few days ago, I posted these mini cinnamon rolls and today I’m officially sharing these Baby BLTs!  Aren't they cute?

I had originally tasted them when my mom made them for appetizers before a big holiday dinner (maybe Christmas last year?).   They’re pretty easy to make and, if you don’t have a food police guard, get consumed in a flash.  I cooked the bacon in the oven (via these instructions) to be able to do more at a time and have less mess. 
 There are several variations of Baby BLTs out there in the world wide web, but this is the one I went with.  One thing it didn't mention that I discovered is that a grapefruit knife is an absolute must in the process of hollowing out the cherry tomatoes - made the job super easy.

To print my version of instructions which I think is better (heh), click here.

Jenna, I hope that your pregnancy continues to go smoothly and I pray the birth is beautiful.  May God give you and hubby the strength and wisdom to raise up precious Alice into the God-fearing models that you already portray.  Happy Shower Day! 

P.S. Here are the other attendees of today's shower, if you want to see all their creations & additions:

~ 4 Little Fergusons (Midwest, USA)
       11 Lessons To Determine If You Are Ready For Parenthood
~ A Little Lunch (Eufaula, OK)
       Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice Scones
~ City Songbird (Greensboro, NC)
       Merry Christmas, Alice!
~ Eats Well With Others (New York, NY)
       Peanut Butter and Honey Ice Cream
~ Hunting for Bliss (Bozeman, MT)
       Garam Masala Deviled Eggs
~ Pinking Shears & Broccoli Spears (Newark, DE)
       Making Food Good For Your Baby
~ That's Some Good Cookin' (Salt Lake City, UT)
       Cheesecake Cookie Bars
~ The Pajama Chef (Bloomington, IN)
       Iced Tea with Ginger-Mint Simple Syrup
~ Two Dogs In The Kitchen (Sterling, MI)
       Spicy Asian Meatballs
~ Veronica's Cornucopia (Wichita, KS)
       Raspberry Almond Fudge Cookies
~ Very Culinary (Sacramento, CA)
       Toasted Orzo and Chickpea Salad
~ Words on Wendhurst
       A Gift For Jenna and Alice

17 comments:

  1. Coming from 4 little Fergusons to say Good morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning to you, too! Loving our baby shower and it's making me late for work haha.

      Delete
  2. Sydney, I have these pinned! They look delish...I should have made them for my Labor Day gathering yesterday. Nice meeting you and attending Jenna's shower together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, thank you! It's been great to discover new blogs through this shower. :) Glad to have met you, too. Happy Tuesday!

      Delete
  3. I came anticipating mini-sandwiches and found something even better -- love your baby BLT's served in cherry tomatoes! Thanks for a great appetizer, Sydney, and also for your thoughts on Jenna's writing -- I love that about her, too!
    ~ Kimby from a little lunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yes. I'm not a huge fan of bread (well, in a way I'm its #1 fan but my body isn't!) so I love this alternative to still getting that combo. Glad to have met you!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love these!! I wish I had time to make them TODAY because I really just want to eat a whole plate of them for a meal. I'm saving this for laters! :) Thank you so much for joining us and putting up with my ineptitude as a host and the crazy amount of emails. I think we managed to pull it off pretty well despite it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) And I didn't think the email level was bad at all - maybe because I receive much more for work and non-work emails are a whole lot more fun. :)

      Delete
  5. Sydney, thank you for your sweet post!! It means a lot--and it means even more that you're praying for us. (and the tomatoes look dee-lish!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you are welcome, Jenna! We <3 you.

      Delete
  6. These are such a creative idea. I've been sitting here for the past five minutes thinking about all kinds of ways to use these. I'm pretty sure that an incarnation of them are going to show up around dinner-time tonight at my house. It was so fun getting to be a part of Jenna's shower and I'm so glad that I have been introduced to you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, there are a ton of variations as you might imagine, so hope you have fun making them! :) Glad to have met you, Terri!

      Delete
  7. these are so cute sydney! i'll definitely have to try them sometime soon.... like now. and i just ate dinner. haha. nice to meet you through jenna's shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks! Hope you enjoy them when you do make them. :) Btw, I read your "Meet me" page and I'm totally in my pajamas right now still. Ha!

      Delete
  8. These little blt bites are amazing! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. :) Wish I could give them to all of you and not just make you wonder what they taste like!

      Delete
  9. Its largely depends on food stuffs and if its yummy then what else you want.This is great food stuff as looking so yummy.
    Winnie the Pooh Baby Shower

    ReplyDelete